How will Digital Rights Management (DRM) work with Spore and Spore Creature Creator?
The DRM solution implemented for the Spore and Spore Creature Creator changes copy protection from being key-disc based, which requires authentication every time you play the game by requiring a disc in the drive, to a one-time online authentication. This system has the added benefit of allowing you to seamlessly play your game without requiring the game disc in the drive.
* This system allows you to authenticate your game on three computers with the purchase of one disc. EA Customer Service is on hand to supply any additional authorizations that are warranted. This will be done on a case-by-case basis by contacting Customer Support.
* Games are authorized to your machine when you first install and launch the game.
* We’ve all had those times when the discs get lost or scratched, and you can’t play a game you’ve bought because you need a working disc in the drive. With this new system, players will no longer need the disc to play the game, but can instead simply retain the disc as backup for reinstallation.
Q: What is the difference between the old PC disc authentication solution and the new online model?
A: Two things have changed:
* First, authentication of your game disc has changed from a physical format to an online format, eliminating the need to have a disc in the drive when playing.
* Second, with online authentication, consumers now connect to the Internet the first time the game is launched and are only required to reconnect if they are downloading new game content.
Q: How will the game authenticate now?
A: We authenticate your game online when you install and launch it for the first time.
Q: Do I have to reauthenticate after the first time my game is launched?
A: Reauthentication is required only if you make significant changes to your PC’s hardware, reformat your hard drive, or in some cases, upgrade your Operating System. Multiple installations of the game on the same computer do not count against the number of computers the game can be installed on.
Q: What are the benefits of online authentication versus the disc-based model?
A: The new system means you don’t need to have the game disc in your computer in order to play. Losing a disc will no longer keep you from enjoying a game you already have installed.
Q: Am I able to play my game on more than one computer? Do I need the disc for that?
A: You’ll be able to install and play your game on up to three computers without the need of the game disc. Your computer is authorized after installation and the initial launch of the game.
Q: Will I still be able to play my game offline?
A: Yes, you can play offline, however, we do hope that you will play online. Sharing creatures, buildings, and vehicles with other players is something that is unique to Spore and Spore Creature Creator, and is one of the coolest features of the game.
Q: What happens when I’ve reached the maximum number of computers for my game and I need more? (Due to computer upgrades, theft, crashes, etc.)
A: EA Customer Support is on hand to supply any additional authorizations that are warranted. This will be done on a case-by-case basis by contacting Customer Support.
Q: Why are Maxis and EA implementing this new authentication process?
A: This solution serves to protect our software from piracy. It has the added benefit of allowing you to activate your game on multiple machines without needing the game disc in the drive when playing the game.